Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Shopping Trip

It's been pretty rainy lately - so house building consisted of a shopping trip to the States.  Five of us went down because that's how many could fit in the truck!  We took Carlee out of school for two days to be our babysitter (the first day was supposed to be her track meet, but it got rained out).  She was incredibly helpful.  Her payment (besides the trip!) was a floor lamp that she loved - with five lights branching off the pole, each lamp shade in a different colour.  There are no pictures of her because she was the photographer, but you can see her being mischievous here at Rich Makes a Splash.

I'm starting with the end picture - trailer is loaded and we're ready to head home! 
Now we'll look at some pictures that got us to this point . . .

Getting interior doors from Lowe's - and these doors are pre-hung!!!  Do you know how much time that is gonna save Richie?  Me neither - but probably a day or two!  And they're about $30 cheaper per door than what we'd get un-pre-hung doors for here!  The panels look like beadboard - yay!  (Have I mentioned that I love beadboard?)  Notice that it's a lady up top pulling the doors off the shelf and handing them down to two guys!  haha

Mackenzie in the cart with Rich and I discussing something in the background.

Loading the doors.  With pre-hung doors you do need to know if you need a right or left swing.  We'd called Richelle and she gave us the rough opening sizes, then Rich and I were waving our arms around, figuring out which way the doors should open for each room.  We'll try out the ones we have and then go back for the rest when we pick up our front door that we ordered, which was basically the reason for the trip.

Lowe's was just a giant playground to Katia!  I'd hear her voice saying "Find me mom!".  I wouldn't be able to see her anywhere, and then she'd come sneaking out from somewhere - like behind these bifold doors.  She also loved running and sliding in her flipflops on the cement floors.  She fell a few times and finally quit when I explained to her that we didn't have time for a trip to ER if she hurt herself!!!

Me and my kitchen sink!!!  It's espresso coloured - love it!!!  Saved exactly $100.

Examining shower heads.  Rich and I did most of the searching while the girls stayed in the Inn.  We brought them with us for our purchasing because that's what we did on our way out of town.

Such a good little shopper just playing with the camera bag and the shower head.  I believe that's my kitchen sink faucet sharing the cart with her.

Looking at area rugs, and clinging to the clipboard of power.  I was writing all the comparisons down between Home Depot and Lowe's during our searching, and then we made our purchases based on cost and preferences.  And recently I took the clipboard of power with me to some local stores to check out prices so I'll be better informed when we head back down to get the front door.  (I made good use of time between basketball games during Carlee's final tournament!)

Katia's playground again!   She was so full of energy - must have been the Fruit Loops at the Continental breakfasts!!!

Richie loading up the trailer.  First it was a pile of drywall (it's half the price!).  He's loading the interior doors on the right and on top.  We had mirrored closet doors (which the girls all really wanted again!) on the left side, as well as light fixtures (found a matching set I liked for chandeliers over table and stairs, entry and island).  What else - ceiling fan, area rug, carpet remnant (for our temporary living in the shop!), plumbing fixtures, an exterior door with self-closing hinges for the bonus room, and a big pink ball from Target!  The stroller and suitcase and blocks and dinosaurs were already ours!  Can you believe Rich loaded the kitchen sink in the back of the truck?  What if it gets wet in all the rain?

All loaded and now it's the good old trucks job to get us safely home in the pouring rain, before the border closes at six.  And we made it!!! 

I had a whole big paragraph typed about my delight for this blog, but I seem to have lost it.  I said that I was delighted with trailers and how much they help us.  We have four of them; a small utility trailer, this cargo trailer, our camper trailer, and a dump trailer.  They certainly make life easier - especially when the dump trailer loaded with garbage like it is right now.  Rich can take it to the dump, raise it up and let the garbage slide out.  That saves his back and saves him so much time - time we'd much rather have him spending with us.  And that is what makes it delightful!!!