I've got to tell you about Wednesday, July 24, 2013 while it's still fresh in my mind. It was just over three weeks since Jasmine's mission papers were sent off. I had decided to start walking the 25 minute walk to the post office every day, that way I'd be getting some exercise in while waiting for her mission call to arrive. Excellent use of my time I thought!
Anyway, a few days ago I started thinking about Wednesday and how it would be the perfect day for Jasmine's call to arrive - just family circumstances and things that were happening in our lives all gelled well together for her call to arrive that day.
It was about 9:30am, before I'd really even thought about when my walk to the post office would be, that the telephone rang. When I saw Gov. Post Off. in my call display, my heart just started racing. I answered the phone and the friendly postal worker said, "Today might be a really good day for you to come and get your mail!" I'm sure I squealed at her as I said, "I KNEW it! I knew it would come today!!!"
The first thing I could think of to do was run to Carlee's room and wake her up and yell, "The post office just called - ahhhh!" Then I ran and told the three other girls. My adrenaline was just racing and then I realized I should call Jasmine. I called her at work, on her cell, and she actually answered - she never does. By this time I was breathless from my running around and I'm sure I sounded like some heavy breathing stalker when I said, "Jasmine - the post office just called!" Now it was her turn to get all excited and laugh, and hyperventilate and laugh, and Richelle was right there with her. So we made some tentative plans, and laughed again, and hung up. A moment later, the phone rang again and it was my sister-in-law, Carol, asking if the post office had just phoned us. She'd just gotten a call that they should probably get their mail today too. Our niece Jaime has been waiting for her call too - about two weeks longer than Jasmine had. How awesome is that - cousins getting their calls on the same day!!!
Then I called Rich, but he wasn't answering so I sent him a text saying:
THE POST OFFICE CALLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He did call back eventually and we excitedly made our plans.
So I put on my socks and laced up my runners for my final daily jaunt to the post office (my exercise plan worked for about five days!). The closer I got to the post office, the faster my heart started beating - and not from the walking! When I turned the key and opened the box and saw this big white envelope, I just felt, well, . . . I think joy would be the best word to describe it. So I did what I do, and took a picture!!!
Anyway, a few days ago I started thinking about Wednesday and how it would be the perfect day for Jasmine's call to arrive - just family circumstances and things that were happening in our lives all gelled well together for her call to arrive that day.
It was about 9:30am, before I'd really even thought about when my walk to the post office would be, that the telephone rang. When I saw Gov. Post Off. in my call display, my heart just started racing. I answered the phone and the friendly postal worker said, "Today might be a really good day for you to come and get your mail!" I'm sure I squealed at her as I said, "I KNEW it! I knew it would come today!!!"
The first thing I could think of to do was run to Carlee's room and wake her up and yell, "The post office just called - ahhhh!" Then I ran and told the three other girls. My adrenaline was just racing and then I realized I should call Jasmine. I called her at work, on her cell, and she actually answered - she never does. By this time I was breathless from my running around and I'm sure I sounded like some heavy breathing stalker when I said, "Jasmine - the post office just called!" Now it was her turn to get all excited and laugh, and hyperventilate and laugh, and Richelle was right there with her. So we made some tentative plans, and laughed again, and hung up. A moment later, the phone rang again and it was my sister-in-law, Carol, asking if the post office had just phoned us. She'd just gotten a call that they should probably get their mail today too. Our niece Jaime has been waiting for her call too - about two weeks longer than Jasmine had. How awesome is that - cousins getting their calls on the same day!!!
Then I called Rich, but he wasn't answering so I sent him a text saying:
THE POST OFFICE CALLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He did call back eventually and we excitedly made our plans.
So I put on my socks and laced up my runners for my final daily jaunt to the post office (my exercise plan worked for about five days!). The closer I got to the post office, the faster my heart started beating - and not from the walking! When I turned the key and opened the box and saw this big white envelope, I just felt, well, . . . I think joy would be the best word to describe it. So I did what I do, and took a picture!!!
As I was pulling it out of the box, I looked over at the doorway, and Grampa had just walked in. I excitedly beckoned him over and showed him the mission call. He started chuckling and saying happy little words like "Oh wow!" and he made more of the same sounds when I told him that Jaime's call had also arrived. He said he'd be sticking close to his phone tonight then since we'd be opening the calls up in very different locations, both miles from home.
As I left the post office, I just wanted to wave the big white envelope around and do a happy dance and show everyone I knew. But something strange happened. As I walked home, I don't think I saw anyone I knew - that never happens!
When I got home, I called to my four youngest girls to come and see what a mission call looks like. It was a pretty cool return address:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Office of the First Presidency
Those of you who know me well, know that I'm a curious sort of person. So while I would never dream of opening her mission call (well, I might dream about it!), I couldn't resist holding it up to the window, just to see if I could see anything through it (you can't!). And I must admit to inspecting the glue on the envelope flap too (it was solid!). So I tucked it reverently into the tote bag I'd be bringing as we all gathered for "the opening".
Carlee had a late afternoon dental appointment that I took all the girls to this time. Then we picked up Richelle and Jasmine after they finished work. It was fun to hand Jasmine her mission call - she was all smiles. Then we all headed northward, to meet up with Rich, Jordyn and Logan as they travelled southward. We met at the chapel grounds of the middle town so we could all be together for this special event. As we were driving, Rich sent us a message saying the road was closed due to a tornado and he couldn't get through. We replied that we were just going to keep driving because tornado's don't last forever. Turns out he was partially bluffing anyway, the road wasn't actually closed - he and Jordyn got us good as we turned into the chapel parking lot and they were already there!
Let me backtrack a few miles now. Jaime called Jasmine - she had opened her call. We all were there in the car listening excitedly while driving, and we learned that Jaime was called to the Canada Halifax mission, reporting to the Provo MTC on Nov. 20. I was particularly thrilled for Jaime as this was one of my top three guesses for Jasmine. The mission president out there is the bishop of my youth - they're an amazing couple and Jaime is so blessed to get them!
So we spread our blankets out and gave Jasmine a little stool to sit on as we all gathered around her. Logan is the one in the hat and shades as he'd just had his eyes lasered and was very light sensitive. We got the video camera ready and Jas started to open her call.
We have a video of her opening her call - I've watched it about six times since yesterday and I still cry every time. I'm posting it separately - if it works. I'll just mention a few of the highlights of her opening it.
First, she couldn't find the letter. She pulled the booklet out of the envelope and opened to the first page to read, but that wasn't her call. She was looking through the book, but being careful not to see mission maps or anything but still couldn't find the letter. Then she realized that it was still in the envelope! She covered the letter with the booklet because she is a speed reader and didn't want her eyes to jump forward too quickly.
I loved her emotion as she started to read that she had been called to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. And then she let out a big gasp as she caught a glimpse of where she was going, and then excitedly read out that she would be serving in the Mexico Mexico City Southeast Mission for eighteen months. It was awesome to watch her excitement and joy and emotion. Then she read out that she would enter the Provo Missionary Training Center on Dec. 11 and be teaching the gospel in Spanish.
Meanwhile, I was thinking, "Mexico. Mexico. Really? Mexico?" But as I was watching Rich give Jasmine a big long hug, a peace settled in my heart and I knew that that was where the Lord needed her to be. So any doubts that may have fleetingly crossed my mind are gone and I'm completely thrilled for her as we put our trust in the Lord.
And now I'm thinking, "Mexico!!!"
So Jasmine called Jaime first to share her news, and then grandparents and aunts and uncles. I loved watching her - she was glowing with happiness. We all went out to dinner together and then journeyed back to our separate homes. Jas would suddenly burst into laughter throughout the drive home - it was adorable! It was after 11:00pm when I finally got back home. Then it was finally time to spread the news on facebook!
I had said to Jasmine on our drive up, before she opened her call, that the mother in me wanted her to be on the same continent as us. That way we could still walk to each other if we ever needed to - at least there wouldn't be an ocean between us! Crazy, I know. But her call is to one of the deepest south missions she could possibly have and still be on the North American continent. And Jaime is in the easternmost mission of the continent. How cool is that? The mother in me is delighted!!!
July 28 - Edited to add this picture of Jasmine and Jaime with their mission calls.
This was taken at a family dinner to celebrate Grampa's birthday. It was fun to compare their calls and see that Jaime needs to pack thermal underwear and Jasmine needs to insect repel her clothes!



