Friday, May 13, 2011

Building a House and Building Kids

Building a house is a lot of work!!!  Not just the physical work that you can actually see, but all the behind- the-scene thinking and planning and phoning, endless phoning, and getting quotes and comparing.  At least now we can see a lot of products on the internet - this does make life easier!!!

Building a house is a good way to build kids - I think for a lot of the same reasons we're told to plant a garden.  It's not just for the food, or to have a house to live in, but it's to learn how to work, work with others, feel a sense of accomplishment and enjoy real person-to-person conversation (as opposed to texted conversations!).  It's hard to find meaningful jobs for your kids these days, unless you live on the farm (yes, I had to milk the goat and mend the fences, and if everything was done there were always rocks to pick up!).  Kids these days have chores like cleaning their room, or mowing the grass for a few months, emptying the dishwasher or cleaning the bathroom.  And these are all good and necessary, but a big project, like a house, really gives them something different.  Now, that does NOT mean I want to build a new house every few years for my kids sake!!!  Are you crazy!!!  I need some sanity too!!!

Mackenzie at the house.  She's 20 months now!  Soon we're gonna have to add mowing to the list of things to do - but I seem to recall the riding lawn-mower breaking at the end of last season.  Hmmm.

Richie is working on soffit and fascia on the garage.

That's Chelle in the brown hoodie grabbing the piece of smart board (which still needs to be painted brown) from Rich.

This is how you take a break at work when you're up on scaffolding.

Doing the smart board around the front bedroom window - tons of smart board on this house!!!

Oh look, it's me!!!  Carrying - what else?  Smart board!  Rich and Chelle really needed my help one day.  I was needed to be the gopher as Rich was up on scaffolding all the time and Chelle worked the saw.  I'd run back and forth with a measurement for Chelle, then bring the wood back to Rich, and back and forth.  I was such a good helper!!!

And Katia was a good helper by keeping Mackenzie happy in the camper.  Toys they haven't seen in a while makes for a good babysitter.

Richie doing the mud room window.  My stove fits between those two other windows - it's gonna be so cute!!!  And yes, that is an air-conditioning unit (Rich won that discussion!).  That door on the right is the back of the garage.  And the other door on the left . . .

. . . is now installed!!!  It's the kitchen/dining room door out onto the deck.  And I love the little blinds between the glass!!!


Miss Katia waving to her fans on my blog!!!

Okay, let the stucco wire begin!!!  Rich says it was so nice to do stucco wire again - like visiting an old comfortable friend.  He knows what he's doing and doesn't have to think about it! 


Jas helping finish around the garage doors.

More and more of the house getting protected by black paper and stucco wire - that's double 30 minute paper in case you were wondering! 
That's Jenna and Katia entertaining themselves - I love to see the games they come up with.

That soffit, fascia, paper, wire and wire mesh for stone is sure looking good!  Rich told me there was a message on the house for me.  I found it on the south wall gable on the tyvek paper - you can't see it here and I forgot to take a picture of it.  Be sure to come back next week to see what the message is (or drive by the house if you live nearby!).

I was watching Jordyn take pictures and she got me - trapped, like a rat!!!

There is the kitchen door all finished and the stucco wire is started on the garage.  Our deck will be back here - it'll be so nice and private and sheltered from the wind.  And a few steps down from the deck will lead to . . . 
. . . the back yard.  I love that tree - any day now it's leaves will sprout!  Got lots of horses behind us - such a relaxing view.  That's the camper where Katia babysits Mackenzie.  The fence in front of the white horses is our property line.  You know, we have enough land back here to feed a goat (obviously it's zoned for farm animals!)  Hmmm - maybe we won't need to fix the lawn mower after all!!!

And let's wrap up this weeks house building post with Richie doing a very bad thing . . .


Are ya dying of curiosity . . .




Didn't your mommy ever teach you not to ride your bike in the house?

Please notice the very clean floors - Jordyn, Jenna, Katia and I worked very hard on that!  Those electrical and furnace guys drill holes and make lots of messes!  But I'm very glad they're there!


And for my delight?  I delight in spring - watching the rebirth of the world after a long, cold winters nap (especially long and cold this year!!!).  It's so delightful to feel sunshine on your shoulders again, and it makes the job site so much nicer than the cold, wet, snow and mud.  So nice to feel warm again!!!