Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What's That Sound?

I was in the kitchen making dinner yesterday when the beautiful mellow sounds of the clarinet came floating over to me.  It was wonderful to listen to Jordyn work on one of her band pieces for festival, "The Song of the Hebrides". 

I'm listening and thinking, "Wow she sounds really good - like she's part of a whole orchestra!"  So my camera and I had to go investigate.  And there she was, sitting in the computer chair, playing her little heart out.  But then, as I went closer, I noticed that . . .

. . . she WAS part of a whole orchestra!!!  They were on the computer and she was playing along with them!  Now that makes practicing a whole lot more fun!!!  And it sounded SO good!!!


And a little while later, I was back in the kitchen, and the lovely high notes of the flute came drifting into the kitchen.  Jas was practicing music from "The Phantom of the Opera" for Festival next week.
As I was listening I realized that she too, was part of a whole orchestra!


I guess it's pretty easy to practice with an orchestra these days - just gotta type in the name of the song you're playing and voila - they're all there, dressed in tuxes and ready to play along with you.

Back in the kitchen again, I was wondering if soon I would hear Carlee and her trombone playing along with an orchestra.  But alas, it was not to be!  Her trombone is almost bigger than she is and she doesn't lug it home very often!!!


Good wholesome music is such a delightful thing!  I delight in being able to enjoy the beautiful sounds around me, and yet in not having an ear that is so fine tuned that I can tell when things are slightly off (I can tell what sounds bad!!!).  And I delight in listening to my children develop their talents - although I must admit, the more experienced they are, the easier it is to listen to!!!