Monday, February 14, 2011

Message Board

This is a Dinner Menu Board that I made about two years ago for our ward Super Saturday.  We colour photocopied it and copies of it have been sent all over - you might even be the proud owner of one!!!

Anyway, the Menu Board has been working great so I wanted to come up with something similar for messages.  It seems like we always have little pieces of paper all over with different messages for different people, and I wanted to clean up this system and keep everything in one place. 
A long time ago I bought another frame to match my Menu board frame - I prefer the Document size frame as it is slightly bigger than the 8x10 frame - more room for writing!

Last week I came across the stickers I had leftover from my DINNER frame (must have been searching for stuff to make Valentines with!).  My first thought was to label my new frame MEMOS but I didn't have enough M's.  So then MESSAGES came to mind but, yup, not enough S's.  But the words
MESSAGE BOARD worked out just right!

You can see my doodling where I wrote out my letters, determined what was the center point and worked backwards from the center so it would be centered nicely on the frame.

My next thing to do was change my Menu Board, because I'm not having burgundy in my kitchen in the new house (still love burgundy but want it in the family room this time!).  So I gave my old Menu Board a face lift into colours that will blend better in the new house - blues, greens, browns. 
(Don't worry, I still have the original papers and oven mitt if I ever want to change it back.)

Like it? 
 I added the words "Quality Time" by the oven mitt because supper time truly can be quality family time.
I love the little quote:  "What your children really want for dinner is you."

So now on to creating my Message Board.  First thing was to determine what sort of message taking spaces would work for our family.  I kept it simple with To:  From: and Message:




 Then is was just a matter of choosing papers and lining things up and doing some glueing - sounds easy enough but that's what actually took the longest!!!

 And the Mesage Board is finished!!! 
The large rectangle at the bottom says Notes: and the funny little thing above that is just a little decoration that says Family.
In using the board for a few days, I can see that some clothes pegs glued to the side would be handy - to hold things like invitations and miscellaneous small papers.  So I'll add that someday, embellished with ribbon, when I find my boxes full of craft supplies like clothes pegs!  I could tie an elastic around the frame to hold another dry erase marker, but I figure they can share the same marker as they'll be side by side on the wall in the kitchen office of my new house.  Now just gotta train the family to look to the message board whenever then come home.  Our only rule is that whoever the message is to, they're the only person who can erase that message.  It's working great so far!

And there they are - the new Message Board and the redone Dinner Menu Board in co-ordinating colours.
I love polka-dots in case you hadn't noticed!

Aren't they delightful!!!
I take delight in having a house of order, and these are certainly helping with that!